How to boost mental focus, productivity and energy with Detox
As we’ve pointed out in our previous article Detox programs are often the last minute emergency break after a long period unhealthy living. Whether alcohol or a one-sided diet, more people are looking for ways to reset their system.
But let’s take a look at what you can accomplish with a pro-active detox and why you should schedule a detox program (14-30 days) at 4-5 times a year.
How can a detox help you perform better?
Detoxing can lead to increased levels of health, well-being and focus. Many people report long phases of mental clarity after a proper detox. This is similar to what you might experience when fasting (intermittent fasting) - only less difficult.
There are ways of prolonging these phases by replacing nutrients through a post-detox diet. We refer to this process as RRA (Reset, Restore, Amplify).
How does a detox work?
With a thorough detox you’re supporting your organs with the process of repairing damage caused through toxins we are exposed to on a daily basis.
Think of your liver as the filter of your entire system (body & mind).
A good example is the air filter in your home – if the filter is dirty, air still goes through but it also transports dirt and toxins. For the best possible filtering of your organs, you need to change (cleanse) your filter.
Which superfoods can I add to my diet to detox body & mind?
You can add the following to your diet or simply download our free guide to “Reset & Detox”. It includes a step by step, plus a 3 day challenge to get you started!
Chanca Piedra: It helps stimulate the liver to purge itself of harmful toxins and foreign particles.
- Dandellion Root: Helps stimulate bile flow from the liver, and is often used by herbalists to help fight fatty liver, cirrhosis, estrogen dominance, and even acne.
- Black Walnut Hull: Provides oxygen to the blood, supports healthy digestion and bowel regularity and is a powerful detoxifier.
- Spirulina is alcalizing and boosts liver function. It is high in antioxidants, b-vitamins, vitamins and minerals. Spirulina contains clorophyll, which helps remove toxins such as heavy metals and other pollutants from the blood. (---> Spirulina can be found in capsule or powder form. Its often used in smoothies, but can be mixed with water or juices)
- Echinacia will help with residual toxin removal at the end of your detox. It helps build your immune system and thereby helps your body cope with the healing process post detox. (---> Echinacia extract can be added to fruit juices and is also available in tea form)
There are many supplements that allow you to add these superfoods to your diet.
Optional: You can find all the above mentioned superfoods combined in capsule form here: Reset + Detox Capsules
(disclaimer: Truebiohack offers this product)
Other superfoods you can eat to compliment the detoxification process are:
Beets: Beets can clean the blood and help with liver detox. In addition they can provide an immune boost, due to the many minerals they contain. A compound of beets are betalains, which help to eliminate toxins and heavy metals in the body.
Chia Seeds: They are very high in fiber with about 5-6 grams of fiber per tablespoon. This high concentration of fiber can help promote bowl regularity. Bonus: They slow down the digestion of sugar and regulate your cholesterol levels.
Which superfoods can help to enhance focus & brain performance?
The superfoods listed above can be combined with others in order to increase cognitive performance.
The superfoods listed for detoxification have a positive effect on brain functions, but can be enhanced by adding the following to your diet:
Turmeric: Contains curcuminoids, which help reduce neuroinflammation. Curcuminoids has been shown to increase production of neural stem cells in the brain.
Antioxidants: Strengthen the brain to fight of radicals that destroy brain-cells. They also help repair neurons and damage associated with aging.
Ginger: May improve reaction time and working memory and is said to help protect against Alzheimers.
Momordica grosvenori (or Luo Han Guo): Also called “the immortals or monk fruit” it is said to be anti-aging and cleansing. Most of all it’s a great substitute for sugar (better fuel)
Black Pepper: Increases the bioavailability of curcumin seven to eight fold.
L-Theanine in Matcha Green Tea: L-theanine is one of the most unique natural brain enhancers around. It increases levels of the neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine, and GABA*. Enhances long term focus. It’s a great replacement for coffee and delivers energy & focus over longer periods than coffee.
MCT-Oil: Improves cognitive and neurological function and can be added to coffee or matcha tea
*GABA is the 'downer' neurotransmitter that counters glutamate (upper), as the two mediate brain activation in a Ying:Yang manner. Highly important in the brain, oral ingestion of GABA is complex due to its difficulty in crossing the blood brain barrier. https://examine.com/supplements/gaba/
It’s important to point out that it’s not about the single superfood, but the combination of superfood ingredients (all of the above) that will provide brain enhancing results.
These superfoods are available in many forms of supplements. However you can find them combined in this package: RRA-Hackpack (*disclaimer: Truebiohack offers the RRA-Hackpack, however these ingredients can be found in separate form in many supplements)
When looking to enhance memory, focus, mental clarity or general cognitive performance, a Detox program is key for 3 reasons:
- Eliminating foods from your diet that are counterproductive to brain performance.
- Removing toxins that are often cause for brain-fog or slow thinking. This can be accomplished with the combination of superfoods listed above.
- Improving sleep. The detox superfoods listed above are efficient in improving quality of sleep. During sleep, the cerebrospinal fluid of your brain cleanses your brain from harmful toxins.
- A detox will “reset” your system and gives you the chance to really measure improvement (without impact through counterproductive nutrients)
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.